Saturday, December 8, 2012

2012: A mixed bag of triathlon goodness

Some gems and some rocks

Well, I didn’t use this thing as much as I had intended. But, the end of the season seems like a good time to reflect on the season and start thinking about next year!

So… I think my season was a mixed bag… when I look back at it, I don’t feel like it was bad. There were lots of good things. But, things certainly didn’t go as well as I had hoped on more than one occasion and I can say with certainty that being consistent in my race performances was NOT a strength. Really things were good or they were ugly. Middle ground didn’t seem to be my thing.

So, what did the year bring me?
·         Finally a solid half ironman (that included the swim!) even if it came with 2 more flops. When I say things can be “good” or “ugly”… I mean I have like 2 times that I do half ironman’s in… and they are ONE HOUR apart. Ridiculous? Yes.
·         Significant gains in my open water swimming. Hello mellow swim attitude that I used to only have in pools. AND, a swim where I forced myself to stay in a clump with other people and attempt to draft.
·         Stronger bike… which has been to the detriment of my run in some cases I think. While I’ve gone for it more on the bike and had some better results, I think I still need some work on that leg, so I can back it up with a solid run. Mostly, I need my elusive steelhead run from last you to not have been a complete fluke…
·         A coach. So, I am significantly less spazzy pre-race (guess it would have been harder to be more of a spaz…). Nerdily excited for some structure in the off season. As a bonus, when I repeat things that he tells me, I’ve been told I almost sound like I know what I’m talking about… score. 
·         Some cool opportunities from VisionQuest coaching with their Project Blue this year. Aero testing and some other cool deals from their sponsors. It was great to have another season of local races and to see more and more familiar faces around!

Goals for next year:
I would like to be consistent in my racing. A lot of that is really getting a handle on my mental game… being tough… all that stuff. I’m not sure why but, I keep thinking “there’s no walking in triathlon” in the voice that Tom Hanks says “there’s no crying in baseball” from a league of their own… (you know, all irritated voice. I don’t know… but, I like it. Clip below!) And, that is the plan for next year.  

(so, now the goal will be to picture Tom Hanks yelling… “walking?? WALKING??! There’s no walking in triathlons!!”… I think this could work for me.)

Dive into the crazy IRONMAN distance. I overheard a coworker that does some sprint triathlons make a comment about Ironman Wisconsin this summer and I think it was an absolutely fabulous quote. She asked another guy that does tri’s if 13 hours in the Ironman was a good time… and then she responds with “13 hours. I can’t imagine working out for 13 hours. I would die. I’m sure lots of people die.” So, there you are folks (mom?): I have to finish under that. Well, I certainly hope I can. Unless I have an epic fail with the whole HTFU / “no walking in triathlon” goal.

As a general nutrition thing… I would like to reduce my addiction to cookies and ice cream. I pretend to be semi-paleo and buy baby food these days. Amy Kubal (http://robbwolf.com/about/team/amy-kubal/) was right, it is good. Though, my brother told me he didn’t know why we don’t just puree all of thanksgiving dinner when I defended my post workout snack. I think he thinks I’m weird, but what else is new.

2012 Results
Crazylegs 8K: 5th AG, 11th OAF
Galena sprint: 2nd AG, 5th OAF
Leons Olympic: 7th elite wave (fastest 10k ever = gem)
Kansas ½: 10th AG (bad bike and bad run = rock)
Racine ½: 2nd AG, 2nd OAF (highlight = gem)
Chicago olympic: 4th elite wave, 5th OAF (gem)
Vegas ½: 29th AG (PW… new personal worst = rock... I'll get you someday vegas...)
Hot Chocolate 15k: 1st AG, 11th OAF


ON TO 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment